Most of us are familiar with common toxic substances that cats and dogs can ingest. For example, it’s no secret that chocolate is poisonous for dogs, and pet owners everywhere have all heard the dangers of antifreeze. What many cat owners don’t know, though, is that every part of lily plants are highly toxic to cats, and one woman is sharing her story after getting her own kitty medical attention in the nick of time.

Lindsey Warnock shared her story on Facebook, describing how what was initially a cute moment of her cat Willow playing with some flowers turned into a nightmare that, thankfully, has a happy ending.

Here’s what Lindsey described:

On Thursday Willow played with lilies in my office. She didn’t eat anything. She only batted at them and got the pollen all over her before I shooed her away. We laughed initially but thank God something in my head told me to google it.

I read, “All parts of the lily – including the stem, leaves, petals, stamens and pollen – are poisonous to cats. Even minor exposures (cat chewing on a leaf or getting pollen on his or her haircoat or whiskers) can be fatal.”

“Cats typically do not survive, even with aggressive therapy (such as dialysis).”

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 83234936_10159295711998268_9176073490464243712_o.jpg

I freaked out. Threw her in the shower (that wasn’t fun) and immediately took her up to Blue Pearl Emergency & Specialty Hospital. Due to covid, they came and took her from my car and after her exam the ER doctor called me. She said her prognosis was very poor because they found the pollen around her mouth and on her tongue. She even said, “in my experience I’ve never seen a cat survive lily poisoning. Most owners only realize there’s an issue when the cat is sick and by that point it’s just too late”

Insert hysterical crying here. She said that her only saving grace may be that we sought treatment quickly but realistically she might not make it through the night. They made her throw up, gave her activated charcoal and aggressively treated her with fluid therapy and other meds.

Thank God after 2 days in the hospital, she pulled through!!! We will go for a recheck soon but her doctors are confident her organs didn’t suffer any long term damage from the poisoning.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 101885089_10159295712228268_4923386904793055232_o.jpg

I can’t tell you the intense guilt I felt and still feel for buying those stupid flowers. I felt like a murderer, terrible fur mom, terrible person. I’ve had cats my entire life and have never heard of lily poisoning. The vets response to that was “most people only find out the hard way” The doctors, technicians and staff at Blue Pearl really are the best! They saved our baby.

Please SHARE this with your friends. I would hate to see anyone go through this!! Thank you all for your support during that gut-wrenching 2 days. We’re thankful our girl is back home! No. More. Flowers. Ever.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here