The town of Kenora, Ontario has been visited every year by a buck affectionately named “Carrot.” Carrot has an unmistakable friendly personality, and for the past three years, he’s visited the home of Lee-Ann Carver.

This year, though, Lee-Ann and her husband Alex received an upsetting shock when Carrot visited and they realized the poor deer had an arrow through his head. According to an interview with the CBC, Alex went outside to see the deer and came back inside crying when he saw what had happened. Carrot was still walking around, and according to the hunters that Lee-Ann had spoken to, he’d been shot with a carbon arrow that likely came from a crossbow. The angle of the arrow made it probable that he’d been shot from above.

Because of how the bolt was positioned in Carrot’s head, removing it may have been even more risky than keeping it in. The bolt may have cauterized the arteries, and taking it out could cause severe bleeding and shock that could kill the deer. Though Carrot would have to avoid playing and scratching his antlers on trees, he could still live a mostly normal life with the arrow in his head as long as he was careful to avoid actions that would cause him pain. In fact, the arrow might’ve just slipped out on its own after Carrot’s antlers dropped.

Soon after, however, Lee-Ann got a concerning update about the deer:

“I received a message that Carrot had been darted again and the bolt was removed. It wasn’t anything I expected so I ran out the door with no socks, wet hair and my husband in search for Carrot.

We found him in a backyard with the MNR trying desperately to revive him. They decided to dart him again and remove the bolt. It pulled out relatively easy. He was injected with antibiotics and his ears were tagged. (The MNR does not want the public to eat this deer as he is full of chemicals). However, those tags will serve to make him recognizable and protect him if he makes it through this ordeal.

As mentioned yesterday, capture myopathy is lethal for deer. They don’t respond well to tranquilizers and stress. I am not going to describe how Carrot was handled in order to try to stimulate him. It may be disturbing for some but I will say for 6 hours, he didn’t get up. It actually got so bad that my husband Alex said his goodbyes and I removed him from the scene to secure his own suffering.

After I dropped Alex off, I immediately went back and I am not privy to what, if anything, was given to Carrot as a reversal drug. However, I was stunned to see him up on his feet while 4 people had a hold of him and continued to walk him in circles trying to wear off the effects of the drugs. Carrot was very groggy and struggling but the team kept up with him. I posted a bit of the video here and I will post one of him on his feet later.

Because of his ordeal, Lee-Ann was concerned that Carrot might not make it, and she said she couldn’t update all of the deer’s concerned followers with good news because she didn’t know if he was well or not. Now, though, it looks like Carrot is (figuratively) out of the woods and should be just fine.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here